Sausage casserole is a simple, easy, and delicious recipe. It can be prepared in about 45 minutes and can be matched with side dishes such as mashed or baked potatoes. You can use just about any type of sausage. However, I suggest our homemade skinless sausage as they add the perfect flavor to the dish. In a pinch, you could use German sausages or any other sausage that has some body, size and texture to it. To make the dish perfect, you might want to try our homemade stewed tomatoes. Nevertheless, any sauce that is tomato based will do.
- 6 sausages of your choice
- 13 oz. tomato sauce, crushed, or stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 4 – 5 button mushrooms
- 2 – 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup chedar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Add some cooking oil to a preheated pan. Add in the onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Saute them for 2 to 3 minutes until they just begin to change color. You really want to sweat them and not actually cook them. Set them aside.
- Add the sausages to the same pan. Fry them until they are browned and cooked.
- In a casserole dish, add in the crushed tomatoes, onions, garlic, mushrooms, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Stir until everything is well combined. Add in the sausages. Make sure they are covered with the sauce. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top.
- Place the casserole in a 350 degree preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the sausage casserole from the oven. Serve over mashed potatoes or the side dish of your choice.