Homemade pasta sauce is simple and delicious. It can be served over ravioli, spaghetti, or just about any type of pasta. This sauce is made from scratch using fresh tomatoes. As with any pasta sauce, Roma tomatoes are the best, but you can use just about any type you wish. As a general rule of thumb, however, the riper the better. Of course, as with any recipe, you are better to use fresh spices if you have them on hand. Personally, I find there is nothing nicer than the taste and aroma of fresh basil. Nevertheless, the dried spices will suffice.
I like to allow the tomatoes to simmer for an additional 10 or 15 minutes after boiling to allow the juices and spices to come together nicely. The sauce can be served directly after it has simmered. I like to pulse it in a blender for a minute or two just so it is liquefied and everything is thoroughly combined, There is also the option of adding some ground beef to the sauce after it has been made. Make sure it is a lean ground beef or it will add a lot of unnecessary oil to the pasta sauce.
Whatever the occasion or pasta application, you will love this pasta sauce.
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 tsp of fresh basil (dried if you don’t have fresh)
- ½ tsp of oregano
- 2 tsp of tomato paste
- Make some small slits in the side of the tomatoes. Boil some water, turn off the heat, and place the tomatoes in for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the tomatoes from the hot water and allow them to cool for a few minutes.
- Peel the skins off the tomatoes, remove the cores, cut them into wedges, and dice them.
- Place the tomatoes into a pot. Add in the butter, sugar, basil, oregano, tomato paste, crushed garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer the mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes. As you stir, crush down any large chunks of tomato.
- Turn off the heat and allow the pasta sauce to cool. You can serve it immediately over the pasta of your choice if you wish, as the next step is optional.
- After the sauce has cooled, place it in a blender and pulse for about 1 minutes. This step is optional.
- Serve the sauce over the pasta of your choice. Enjoy.