Tuna macaroni salad is easy to prepare, tasty, and healthy. The dish can be served hot or cold. Personally, I prefer to have it cold. Allowing it to sit in the fridge for an hour or two allows the ingredients to marinate together nicely and thus produces a nicer taste. I like to use tomatoes in my salad, especially cherry tomatoes. This, however, is completely optional. If you are not a garlic lover, feel free to leave the garlic out. On the other hand, if you enjoy other spices such as parsley, by all means add them. I have left it out of this recipe, but I enjoy a few chunks of old cheddar cheese mixed in with the salad, as well. The choice of mayonnaise is likewise critical to personal taste. Some people prefer mayo such as Hellmen’s. This has a rather rich unsweetened taste. Other people, such as myself, prefer Miracle Whip, which has a sweeter taste. Lastly, the choice of tuna likewise makes a huge difference. For healthier results, use light tuna soaked in water. I like the Sunkist packaged tuna.
Tuna macaroni salad is great for family gatherings or picnics. It is also a great dish for exercise and health enthusiasts as a result of its carbohydrate and protein content. Give this a try today. You are guaranteed to love it.
- 1 1/2 cup macaroni noodles
- 150 g chunk light tuna
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes (8 – 10 cut into thirds)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cheddar cheese or the cheese of your choice
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp garlic powder (depending on your preference)
- 5 tbsp mayonnaise
- Boil the macaroni noodles according to package instructions. I usually boil mine so they are soft and swollen. In other words, they have just about doubled in size. Drain them (do not rinse) and add them to a mixing bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, green onions, tuna, and mayonnaise to the noodles. Gently stir until well combined.
- Add the garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir again until the spices are well combined.
- Serve and enjoy. This dish can be served hot or cold. If you are serving it cold, leave it site in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours.