Pork chops in tomato sauce is a simple and delicious recipe. The total cooking time is about 1 hour. Actually, I developed this recipe trying to figure out what to do with some left over tomato sauce. I thought a combination of the both might be nice, and it was terrific. The rosemary, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper rub makes it super delicious. As always, fresh herbs are the best, but the powdered versions will do in a pinch. I always place a coating of olive oil over the meat before adding the spices to make them adhere better. If you want the sauce a little sweeter, add a little extra sugar to the tomato sauce.
It is important to use a fairly decent cut of chop. A butterfly chop, of course, is always the nicest. If you are in doubt, ask your butcher and tell him or her what you are making. Remember to trim any excess fat away from the meat. Always leave a little, however, as it adds some flavor. Allow you pan to preheat and fry the pork chops for about 4 minutes on each side. If you want the a little on the well done side, allow them cook for about 5 or 5 1/2 minutes.
I like to serve my pork chops in tomato sauce up with some mashed potatoes. The sauce is superb spooned over top of the potatoes and the meat. Give these a try today and let me know the outcome.
- 1 tsp of thyme
- 1 tsp of rosemary or 1 full sprig
- 1 tbsp olive oil (1 tbsp for the rub and 1 tbsp for cooking)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- 1 425 g (15 ox) can of tomato sauce
- Preheat your oven to 150 degrees C (300 degrees F).
- Brush some olive oil over 1 side of the chops. Add on the garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Using your hands, message the spices into the meat. Repeat this for the other side of the pork chops.
- Add the chops to a preheat pan containing about a tablespoon of olive oil. Fry them over medium high heat for 4 minutes on each side. Remove them and let them rest for about 10 minutes.
- In the meant time, add the can of tomato sauce to your preferred baking dish. Add in the brown sugar. Stir until it is well combined.
- Place the chops in along with any juices collected from resting and spoon a generous amount of sauce over the top. Place a layer of aluminum foil over the top.
- Place the dish in the preheated oven and allow it to bake for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Remove and serve with some mashed potatoes with the tomato sauce spooned over the top.