Warning: Illegal string offset 'script' in /home/ourgre6/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-socializer/includes/wpsr-shortcodes.php on line 92
Warning: Illegal string offset 'script' in /home/ourgre6/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-socializer/includes/wpsr-shortcodes.php on line 72
Warning: Illegal string offset 'script' in /home/ourgre6/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-socializer/includes/wpsr-shortcodes.php on line 85
Southern Style Fried Chicken is made with a unique batter and coating . It is considered a down-home meal in the south and the recipe certainly lives up to its name. In the minds of many people, fried chicken is delicious, but considered unhealthy. This does not necessarily have to be the case. If you want to spend a little more money and make the dish a healthier, consider frying it in olive oil. I always deep fry my food using olive oil and it seems to make the food crisper, cleaner, and drier. You will probably eliminate the unhealthy, greasy, fat content by about 50 percent. I read an excellent article on deep frying with olive oil. Many people don’t think you can deep fry using olive oil and that is nothing more than a myth.
Southern Style Fried Chicken makes an excellent combination served with fries and coleslaw. Serve this up at any time of the year. The kids will especially love it. Believe it or not I found this southern style fried chicken every bit as good as the KFC version.
- 1 kilo chicken, any cut
- cooking oil for frying
- 2 egs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- two or three drops of Tabasco sauce ( optional)
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 tsp of salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
Watch our Cooking Video:
- In a Ziploc bag, combine the flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, paprika, and cayenne. Place the chicken in the bag, seal it, and shake until the chicken is well coated.
- Remove the chicken from the bag, and set it aside on a wire rack with a drip tray underneath. Be sure to keep the remaining coating.
- To make the batter: Combine the beaten eggs, milk, Tabasco sauce, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Using tongs, dip the chicken in the batter and rotate until it is well coated on all sides. Next, dredge the chicken in the remaining flour, and set it aside on the wire rack again.
- Heat cooking oil in a deep frying pan. Deep fry chicken over medium-high heat, until all sides, are golden brown. The temperature of the oil should be 350°F. Allow the chicken to cook for 10 to 15 minutes until it is golden brown. This will depend on the size of the chicken, of course. If it is a smaller chicken, it will be cooked in under 15 minutes. Place the chicken on a plate lined with a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- Serve with favorite dipping sauce and garnish with slice lemon wedge. Enjoy!