Southern fried chicken is easy to prepare and in credibly delicious. It is great for any kind of social gathering, especially a football or hockey game. Some people simply like to have a wing night with a few beers.
There are only four main spices used in this recipe. As with any recipe, however, you can alter the seasoning according to your taste or use your other favorite spices. For example, you might want to use a little bit of garlic. Feel free to experiment.
The optimal temperature for frying the wings is 375°F. A deep fryer is ideal, but most people don’t have one. In light of this, a simple meat thermometer will suffice. I usually place the oil into a deep pot, over medium-high heat, and check the thermometer consistently until it reaches 190°C. Then I reduce the heat to medium and begin my deep-frying. Of course, I continue to check the temperature during frying. You have to be careful not to over fry the chicken, otherwise it will lose its internal juices. For smaller pieces, 5 minutes is just about perfect. You can of course, leave the wings a little bit longer if you want them extra golden brown. Larger pieces will take 7 to 8 minutes. Lastly, these southern chicken wings are best served up immediately, while they’re hot.
- 15 chicken wings
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 1 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne
- 3 cups of vegetable oil for frying
- 1 egg
- Servings: 4
- Time: 30 Minutes
- Level: Easy
- Cuisine: American
- Place the chicken wings into a mixing bowl. Crack in the egg. Using your hands, message the egg onto the chicken until all the pieces are thoroughly coated.
- Add the flour to a sealable container and add in the paprika, salt, cayenne, and the ground black pepper. Place the lid on the container and seal it shut. Shake until the chicken it is fully coated. Alternatively, you can do this in a Ziploc bag.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a deep pot and preheat it to 375°F. If you don’t have a deep frying thermometer, you can use a meat thermometer.
- Place the chicken, in batches, into the vegetable oil. Fry the smaller wings for 5 min. and any larger pieces for 7 to 8 minutes. Set them aside on a plate lined with a paper towel. Repeat this process for the remaining chicken.
- Serve your Southern fried chicken with your favorite condiment.