Soft boiled eggs are delicious, fast, and healthy. They are one of the healthiest forms of eggs as a result of not using any oil or fat to prepare them. I usually limit my egg intake to weekends. Keep in mind that the daily recommended intake for cholesterol is 300 mg, and each medium size eggs contains about 150 mg of cholesterol. Nevertheless, this is one of my favorite breakfasts. I love it on a Sunday morning just before a bike ride.
I find the perfect time to cook these eggs is 5 ti 6 minutes. This makes an egg with a nice runny yolk for dipping. If you want a firmer egg, you can boil the egg for an extra minute or a minute and a half. It is important to place the eggs in cold water immediately after removing them from the boiling water, as they will continue to cook even after they have been removed. In other words, your soft boiled egg will turn into a hard boiled egg relatively quickly if you skip this step.
Another great idea for soft boiled eggs, is to boil them for an additional 2 to 3 min., so they are completely hard-boiled. Then, peel them, and place them in a bowl. After this, I add some mayonnaise and a touch of horseradish. Then, mix until they are well combined. After that, you can place the eggs on toast, or just eat them as is. The outcome is incredible.
If you are simply doing a soft boiled egg and want to get the top off, I usually give the egg shell a quick snap or tap with a knife and then push the tip of the knife gently through the egg and pop the top off. I do this about a 1/4 way down from the top. You can then spoon the whites our of the top portion and eat it.
- 4 eggs
- water – fill the pan 3/4 full
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 4 slices toast
- Place the water on the stove and bring to a complete boil.
- After the water is boiling, gently place in the eggs. I usually place them on a spoon and carefully lower them into the water. Set a timer for 5 minutes.
- After five minutes, remove the eggs and place them in a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Put the egg in an egg cup. Tap around the top of the egg with a knife and remove the top portion of the egg – the top 1/4 of the egg. Season the egg with salt and pepper.
- Use the toast for dipping and remove the remaining egg white and yolk with a spoon. Enjoy your soft boiled eggs.