Warning: Illegal string offset 'script' in /home/ourgre6/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-socializer/includes/wpsr-shortcodes.php on line 92
Warning: Illegal string offset 'script' in /home/ourgre6/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-socializer/includes/wpsr-shortcodes.php on line 72
Warning: Illegal string offset 'script' in /home/ourgre6/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-socializer/includes/wpsr-shortcodes.php on line 85
Roasted chicken with mushroom gravy is a simple roasted chicken with a twist or secret. This secret involves gently separating the skin from the breast and filling it with a compound butter mixture. This allows the mixture to soak into the meat and not run off the skin. This is perhaps on of the greatest secrets that have I learned in roasting a chicken. I have lost count of the number of birds I have roasted only to let the butter or sauces I have prepared simply run off the chicken during the first few minutes of cooking into the pan. The end result is a roast chicken which is moist and succulent.
Combined with the superb mushroom gravy, this recipe is simply delicious. . I enjoy my roasted chicken with our fast and easy mashed potatoes, fresh dinner rolls, and a garden salad. This is a must try for everyone. As always I suggest a nice chardonnay or a dry white bordeaux with this roasted chicken and mushroom gravy dish.
- 1 whole dressed chicken
- 1/2 stick of butter at room temperature
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- For Mushroom Gravy
- 4 pcs. button mushroom sliced
- 1/3 cup flour dissolved in 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the compound butter: Place half a stick of butter (at room temperature) in a mixing bowl. Add basil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Place chicken in a flat surface. Gently separate chicken skin from the breast by using a spoon or fingers. Fill the area between the skin and meat with the compound butter mixture – about 2 tablespoons in each half. Stuff chicken cavity with onion or any desired stuffing. Tie the legs together using cooking string. Once tied, sprinkle salt and pepper onto the outer parts of the chicken.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees at least 40 minutes on each sides or desired doneness. Basting regularly on each side. Slice chicken into serving pieces; set aside on a serving plate.
- To make the mushroom gravy: Place button mushroom in a pan. Sprinkle salt and stir to extract juices from mushrooms. Saute until light brown. Pour in chicken stock and dissolved flour. Continuously stirring over medium to low heat until sauce is smooth and thickens. Turn off heat.
- Pour the sauce over on plate of sliced roasted chicken and garnish with chopped parsley.