Poached chicken breast with vegetables is low in fat, tender, and succulent. This is one of my favorite chicken dishes. It is excellent served as a main dish. It can likewise go in salads, sandwiches, or burritos. However, it seems that steamed vegetables and poached chicken are a perfect match for each other. Try this recipe. Your dinner guests will not be disappointed. Serve this up fresh buns and potatoes.
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 small onion cut in halves
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- Place chicken in a deep pot. Pour in enough water to cover the chicken. Add in carrots and celery. Season with thyme, parsley, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat, until liquid, starts to boil.
- Remove the pot from the heat; let chicken sit covered for about 15 to 25 minutes, depending on the size of chicken, or until the color changes to white.
- Remove chicken and strain. Keep the stock. Slice into serving pieces; set aside on a platter.
- Serve with favorite vegetables.
Do not over cook chicken.
Best serve with broccoli and carrots with sesame seeds.