New York Strip Steak with Gravy is an all time North American favorite. This cut of meat is thick, juicy, and tender. In this recipe, the steak is basted in butter and pan seared. Basically it is cooked to perfection. While the steak is resting, make the gravy with ingredients such as beef stock, cream, and chili powder.
Serve this recipe up with your favorite buns, vegetables, and potatoes. A nice garden salad is always appropriate with this dish. Your favorite red wine is also a must. I suggest a nice red bordeaux. This New York Strip Steak with Gravy is excellent! Your family and dinner guest will love this.
- 1 lb. New York steak
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Place beef on a platter. Rub olive oil around the meat. Sprinkle chili powder, salt and pepper on all sides.
- Add olive oil in a preheated skillet. Sear the meat over medium heat for at least 3 1/2 minutes on one side. Flip to the other side and cook for an additional 3 1/2 minutes. Around a minute before the steak has finished cooking, add the butter in, and baste it over the meat while it’s melting down.
- Remove the steak from the pan, and allow it to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the beef stock, chili powder, and garlic in the same pan as you fried the steak in. Stir it well and simmer to a boil over medium heat. After a boil, pour in the heavy cream and stir until well incorporated. Simmer for a few minutes until cream slightly thickens. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the gravy over the steak and serve with peas, fried or mashed potatoes.