Nasi Goreng fried rice is popular in Indonesia and Malaysia. Nasi means rice and Goreng means fried. This dish has a sweet and spicy taste. However, different ingredients can be used depending on the preferred meat used. Sometimes, pork or shrimp can be used. Vegetarians can use ordinary rice and a variety of vegetables like cabbages and peas.
The spiciness can be adjusted. The amount of chili paste depends on the cook. For people who do not enjoy spicy food take out the chili paste. In this recipe, I could say the sweet soy sauce is one of the important ingredients. It helps to make the rice a little bit sweeter and at the same time salty. This sweet soy sauce is available in any Asia Mart or World Food as well as Nasi Goreng mix and Sambal Olek paste.
When I was in Malaysia on vacation, Nasi Goreng captured my taste buds. It was the first time I had tried spicy fried rice, but the use of chicken made it delicious.
Let me know your thoughts.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 pcs. chicken breast cut in strips
- 2 pcs chili peppers chopped
- 3 tbsp sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 1 tbsp. sambal olek chili paste
- 2 tbsp chili paste
- 2 tbsp. nasi goreng mix paste
- 1 fried egg
- cooking oil
1. Heat cooking oil in a wok. Add in chili paste and stir until fragrant.
2. Place in chicken, stir and fry until light brown.
3. When is chicken is brown, add in chopped chili pepper, and fried egg. Stir well.
4. Add in cooked rice; season with sweet soy sauce and Nasi Goreng mix paste. Stir until well combined.