Warning: Illegal string offset 'script' in /home/ourgre6/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-socializer/includes/wpsr-shortcodes.php on line 92
Warning: Illegal string offset 'script' in /home/ourgre6/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-socializer/includes/wpsr-shortcodes.php on line 72
Warning: Illegal string offset 'script' in /home/ourgre6/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-socializer/includes/wpsr-shortcodes.php on line 85
Meat pies are one of my all time favorites. These are a hamburger based meat pie. They are fantastic served up with a salad and some homemade fries. The recipe is relatively easy. The most time consuming part of it is making the homemade pastry. I prefer to make the pastry from scratch. If you’re not up to doing this, you can simply buy store bought pastry.
As with any recipe, you can adjust the ingredients. We have tampered and adjusted this recipe to get the perfect taste, however. Another alternative would be to add some mixed vegetables. The easiest way is to buy a bag of frozen mixed veggies. I find too many will ruin, or take away from, the flavor of the beef. The mixed peas and carrots in the recipe seem to add the perfect touch. I also use a small strainer when removing the meat from the pan and placing it into the pie, as I don’t like too much fat in the meat pie.
This is the perfect, simple dinner idea that the kids will love.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 3 clove crushed garlic
- 3 – 5 drops drops of Tabasco sauce
- 1 small onion chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup corn
- Servings: 3 – 4
- Time: 90 Minutes
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: American/Canadain
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, onions, garlic, peas, corn, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, salt, and pepper. Using your hands, or a wooden spoon, mix until well combined.
- Place the mixture into a frying pan and saute until the meat just begins to brown. Turn off the heat and set it aside.
- Roll out the pastry into a fairly large piece. You can use store bought pastry if you wish. You may also want to use our homemade pastry. Place it over top of a small aluminum pie container (about 5 or 6 inches in diameter) and gently fold it in. Lift and tuck the edges. Do not try and stretch the pastry as it will shrink when baking. Using a pair of scissors or a sharp knife, cut the excess pastry away from the pie.
- Scoop the filling into the pastry (be careful not to fill it too full). Using remaining pastry, place it over the top. Using your scissors or knife, trim around the outside edge.
- Using your thumb and index finger, seal and crimp the top and bottom parts or the pastry together.
- Place the pies in the fridge for about 1/2 an hour before you bake. This will allow the gluten to rest and prevent the pastry from shrinking too much.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Place the meat pies in for 40 to 45 minutes or until the tops are nicely browned.
- Remove the meat pies from the oven and serve.