I like to use frozen peas, as they release the perfect amount of water to create a little bit of sauce. If you are using fresh peas, add about a tablespoon of water. If you are using canned peas, add a tablespoon of the liquid from the can.
- 2 lbs of stewing beef
- 6 small cloves of crushed garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp parsley
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- cooking oil
- Servings: 4
- Time: 1 hour
- Level: Moderate
- Cuisine: American
(5 / 5)
- To make the pastry, please follow the link to our pie crust recipe or watch the video posted below. The pie shell recipe will make 4 beef pies. You could also watch our video on homemade meat pies for further instructions on how to add the pastry to the pie containers. It is pretty strait forward, however.
- Add the beef to a mixing bowl. Next, add in the thyme, rosemary, parsley, all purpose flour, salt, and pepper. Using a spoon, mix until everything is well combined. Using your hands, continue mixing until the meat is well coated with the flour and spices.
- Add some cooking oil to a preheated pan over medium heat. Add in the onion and garlic. Stir and saute them for about 2 minutes until the onions are translucent and they are fragrant. Place the beef in. Stir and simmer it for about 5 minutes until it begins to turn brown. Turn off the heat and set the beef aside.
- Lay out the aluminum containers lined with the pastry. Place the beef mixture in so it comes just to the top of the pie shell. Lay another piece of pastry over the top. Place your index finger under the rim of the pie shell and your thumb on the top of the pastry. Gently pinch and seal the two pieces of pastry. Use whatever method you like to create a nice, professional look along the pastry edges. Using a sharp knife, cut three 1 1/2 inch vent holes in the top of each pie.
- Place the pies in the fridge for about 45 minutes to an hour to allow the gluten to rest. If you don’t do this, the pies will shrink while they are baking.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Place the pies in and bake for 45 minutes or until they are nicely browned.
- Remove the beef pies from the oven, serve, and enjoy.
Homemade Pie Shell: