Hash browns are a simple and popular potato recipe. They can be served with just about any meal. However, the most popular meal is breakfast. They can also be made in a variety of shapes, but the most common shape is oval.
One of the easiest way to make hash browns is to grate and fry the potato. In England, the term actually means fried or left over mashed potatoes. This is certainly a consideration. In this recipe, however, we provide instructions on how to make the hash browns usually found in fast-food restaurants. The process may be a little more tricky, but the outcome is certainly worth the effort as they are absolutely delicious.
- 3 pcs. medium sized potatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. butter, melted
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tsp. sugar
- cooking oil
1. Peel potatoes and boil until they start to soften. Cut into small cubes and set aside in a mixing bowl.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine boiled potatoes, onion, flour, beaten egg, butter, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix until well incorporated. Gently mash potatoes using a spoon until smooth and well combined.
3. Place the mixture into the center a square baking sheet and cover with another baking sheet on top. Gently roll up using a rolling pin about 1/4 inch thick.
4. Remove the top baking sheet and allow the mixture to sit in the freezer for at least 2 hours or more.
5. After freezing, Remove from the freezer and cut into desired shape and size.
6. Heat cooking oil in a pan. Pan fry hash browns over medium-high heat until golden brown. Drain excess oil in a paper towel and serve with favorite mustard or condiment.