Green Pea Risotto is a classic Italian dish. It is creamy and delicious. There are many different types of risotto, one of the most common is short-grain rice and peas with chicken stock. However, many different types of meat such as fish can be used, as well. It is commonly served before the main course in many restaurants. Of course, you can serve this dish any way you wish.
- 1 cup short grain rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 oz. prosciutto, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 small onion or shallot, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Add olive oil in a preheated pot. Fry prosciutto until light brown and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion and garlic over medium heat until fragrant and translucent. Careful not to burn the garlic otherwise it will make a bitter taste.
- Add in the rice. Stir occasionally until nicely coated and combined.
- Pour in the white wine and stir, until wine, is slightly absorbed by the rice.
- Pour in about 2 ladles of stock and stir constantly until absorbed. When the stock is absorbed, keep adding more ladles of stock until rice is fully cooked and creamy. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When the rice is almost done, add in peas and fried prosciutto with a ladle of stock. Stir occasionally until rice is fully cooked.
- Turn off the heat and add the butter, grated Parmesan cheese and basil. Stir well and adjust seasoning according to taste.
Do not leave risotto while cooking. It needs constant stirring to achieve perfect texture and taste.