Warning: Illegal string offset 'script' in /home/ourgre6/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-socializer/includes/wpsr-shortcodes.php on line 92
Warning: Illegal string offset 'script' in /home/ourgre6/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-socializer/includes/wpsr-shortcodes.php on line 72
Warning: Illegal string offset 'script' in /home/ourgre6/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-socializer/includes/wpsr-shortcodes.php on line 85
Great pecan butter tarts are delicious and relatively easy to make. Actually, butter tarts are uniquely Canadian and are commonly known throughout the United States and Europe as pecan tarts or pecan pie.
There are several variations to this recipe in terms of the texture and consistency of the filling. Some people prefer their butter tarts runny, whereas others prefer them more solid in texture. This recipe produces a relatively runny or gooey butter tart. If you prefer your tarts more solid, simply increase the amount of sugar used and decrease the amount of corn syrup used. For example, you would increase the sugar to three quarters of a cup, and decrease the corn syrup to 1/4 cup. Maple syrup also makes a great substitute for corn syrup, as well.
On the other hand, you can eliminate the syrup totally. This will produce a fairly firm butter tart. The use of dark brown sugar, as opposed to a lighter brown sugar, which tends to produce a richer, molasses like, outcome. In contrast, the use of white sugar, will make a nice tart, but it will not have the same taste as the other sugars. Feel free to experiment. Each outcome will be slightly different.
Speaking along the lines of experimentation, you don’t have to use pecans. Many recipes call for raisins. I have also used walnuts. In my opinion, walnut butter tarts are just as good.
No matter what the occasion, great pecan butter tarts will be an instant hit. Serve these up with tea, coffee, or milk. They make an incredible dessert or snack. Make these today, and you won’t be disappointed.
To make the filling, please refer to our homemade pie crust recipe.
- 1 cup of dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup of butter at room temperature
- 1 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2/3 cups of walnuts broken up
- 1/4 cup of corn syrup
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dark brown sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla extract, and the corn syrup.
- Spray a muffin tray with baking spray. Spread your pastry into the muffin pan. To make the pastry, please see out pie shell recipe and video.
- Pour the mixture into the tart shell. They should be about 3/4 full.
- Place them into a 375 degree preheated oven for 16 to 20 minutes or until the pastry has browned.
- Allow the pecan butter tarts to cool and serve them with the beverage of your choice.