English muffins are a great breakfast idea, especially when they are combined with peanut butter, honey, jam, or eggs. This recipe yields a fast, simple, and delicious English muffin that is ready in less than 45 minutes. The best part is that it uses only a few simple ingredients. There are a few variations to this recipe. One is to allow the dough to rise for about an hour. It is not necessary, but this will give you an airy and less dense muffin. You can also vary the thickness of them. When I first made this recipe, I rolled them out to about an inch think and got a really big muffin. These are perhaps a little too big and filling for my liking. In light of this, I reduced the thickness to between half and three quarters of an inch. The will also rise a little when they are covered and during the cooking proces
- 2 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp of all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup of warm milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp of butter
- 1/2 tbsp of sugar
- 1/2 an egg, beaten slightly
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 pack (2 tsp) of instant yeast
- Using a small saucepan or microwave, heat the milk to 110 degrees F. Add in the instant yeast and allow it to sit for 3 to 5 minutes. Melt the butter in the saucepan or microwave. Combine the butter, milk, and yeast in a mixing bowl. Mix until they are well combined.
- Combine with the egg. Mix until well combined. Sift the sugar, baking soda, and flour into the mixture. Using an electric mixer, stand mixture, or a wooden spoon mix until a dough has formed. The dough should be a little wet but dry enough so you can work with it, and it doesn’t stick to your hands or the sides of the bowl.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and roll it out until it is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
- Using a ring or lid (an English muffin ring is perfect) of about 3 to 3 1/2 inches, cut them out and place on a baking tray or oven rack and sprinkle them with corn meal.
- Cover them with a towel or cloth and allow them to rise in a warm place for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan (a cast iron pan is preferred) to low heat. Cook the muffins on each side for 4 minutes or until nicely browned and crispy.
- Place them in an oven preheated to 325 degrees F for 13 to 15 minutes.
- Cut the muffins into halves and toast.