Egg in the basket for Two is a simple and quick breakfast recipe. The concept of this recipe is incredibly simple. You simply cut a hole in the center of a piece of bread, place it in the pan, crack the egg into the center, and cook it. When I first discovered this recipe, my initial thought was “Now this makes sense!” Traditionally, we fry an egg, make toast, remove the egg from the pan, and eat the egg with the toast. Wouldn’t it make a lot more sense combining all of the steps into one? Well, that’s what egg in a basket does.
As with any eggs, you can cook them to your desired consistency. Personally, I prefer my eggs a little runny. In light of this, I toast the remaining bread cut from the whole for dipping. In this recipe, simple seasoning such as salt and pepper is suggested. I also enjoy a little dash of garlic and paprika. As with any dish, you can adjust the seasoning according to your taste. serve up your egg in a basket with some delicious corned beef hash. Try this for breakfast and show your family and friends a unique twist.
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper
- Cut out a 6 cm diameter hole in the center of the bread. You can use a cookie cutter or the mouth a cup or a glass for a template.
- Add the butter to a nonstick, preheated pan on medium, low heat.
- Place the bread in the pan and crack the egg into the hole or basket of the egg.
- Season with salt and pepper. You can also adjust the spices according to your taste.
- Allow the egg to cook until it sets or becomes firm – about 2 – 3 minutes over medium, low heat. if you enjoy your eggs a little runny, simply reduce the cooking time.
- Flip and cook to your desired consistency.
- Remove and serve.
- Enjoy your Egg in the Basket for Two!