Cream of mushroom soup is one of my favorites. Like many people, I enjoy it in the can. It is fast and easy. When this soup is homemade from scratch, it is beyond words. I do admit that the preparation of this soup can be time consuming, but the outcome is well worth it. I usually make up a fairly large batch so I can use it for a few days. If you are into canning, you also might want to consider that. I figure I can make this for about the third of the price of supermarket canned soup and about 3 times the quality. The real beauty is I can control my own ingredients.
This soup can be made as creamy or as watery as you want. If you want it creamier, simply add more cream. If you want it soupier, add more water. I would refrain from adding more chicken stock, as you want it to taste like cream of mushroom soup and not cream of chicken soup. It can also be make from vegetable stock if you don’t like the taste of chicken stock.
Serve this up with a salad or the sandwich of your choice. You also may want to consider some crackers as a side dish, or add them directly to the soup.
- 1 pound (approximatel 450 grams or 3 cups) of button mushrooms
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp of fresh thyme (dried will also do)
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 ml) of cream
- 1/2 tsp of fresh parsley (dried will also do)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Slice the mushrooms fairly thinly into cross sections.
- Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Add in the mushrooms and a 1/2 tsp of salt. Cook them over a medium high heat until water begins to disappear.(about 12 or 13 minutes) Reduce the heat to medium low and cook until golden brown (approximately 30 minutes).
- Add in the onions. Cook until the onions begin to turn translucent (about 3 to 4 minutes).
- Add in the flour and stir for about 1 minute or two. Add in the thyme, garlic, pepper, and the chicken stock. Simmer over a low heat for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Allow the cream of mushroom soup to cool for a few minutes. Add the soup to a blender and puree. Do this in batches as you don’t want to put too much in blender.
- Return the soup to the pot and add in the cream. Whisk in the cream over medium heat. Do not bring the soup to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper. You can use black pepper or white pepper. Serve and enjoy your cream of mushroom soup.