Warning: Illegal string offset 'script' in /home/ourgre6/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-socializer/includes/wpsr-shortcodes.php on line 92
Warning: Illegal string offset 'script' in /home/ourgre6/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-socializer/includes/wpsr-shortcodes.php on line 72
Warning: Illegal string offset 'script' in /home/ourgre6/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-socializer/includes/wpsr-shortcodes.php on line 85
Chocolate sandwich cookies, sometimes called whoopie pies, are out of the world. They are chewy, creamy, and delightful. There are, however, a few tricks to baking the cookies. The first tip is the baking time. I like to cook mine at 350 degrees F for about 12 or 13 minutes. This produces a fairly soft, chewy cookie. If you want a firmer and crunchier cookie, increase the baking time to about 14 minutes. Next, allow these cookies to cool for a few minutes (5 – 10) before removing them from the baking tray, as they need to firm up and will sometimes fall apart. Also, allow them to cool for a least a half an hour before you apply the filling. In terms of the filling, the recipe makes a vanilla filling. If you prefer chocolate filling, add an extra tablespoon of butter and shortening combined with 2 tablespoons of cocoa. Lastly, the cookies are best stored in a cookie jar in a cool area.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of butter at room temperature
- 1 cup of granulated white sugar
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of cocoa
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
For the Filling:
- 2 tbsp of butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup of shortening at room temperature
- 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and the sugar until the mixture becomes well combined and granular.
- Add in the egg and the vanilla extract and continue to mix until the mixture is soft and creamy.
- Once it is soft and creamy, add the baking powder, salt, cocoa, and flour. Continue to mix until well combined.
- Add in the chocolate chips and mix until they are well incorporated.
- Using a spoon or ice cream scoop, pick up the mixture and roll it into the palm of your hand until it becomes a 1 inch diameter ball.
- Spray the bottom of a baking tray with baking spray. Place the cookie dough in making sure there is an inch space between each cookie.
- Place in the oven at 350 degrees F and bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. After they have slightly cooled, transfer them to a wire rack, and allow them to cool completely.
To make the Filling:
- Combine the shortening, butter and confectioner’s sugar in a mixing bowl. Mix using a spoon until well combined and creamy.
- Once the cookies have cooled completely, apply a layer of filling onto the backside of a cookie, place another cookie over the top, and gently press down on the top cookie.
- Serve and enjoy your chocolate sandwich cookies.