Chicken Arroz Con Pollo is made with rice, olives, a combination of vegetables and spices. The term actually means chicken with rice. The dish finds its origins in Spain as a type of pilaf (a rice dish with chicken and meat) It is a classic dish in many Spanish speaking counties. It makes an excellent main course as it is considered a one-dish meal. However, it can be used as an appetizer depending on your taste and style. combined with the olives and various spice it has a unique and pleasant taste. Whatever the occasion, it is a must try and will certainly impress your family or guests. Beer or wine make an excellent match with Chicken Arroz Con Pollo.
- 3-4 pcs. boneless chicken, cut in serving pieces
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup green olives, sliced
- 1 tsp. chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 red and green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. green peas or baby peas
- 1 1/4 cup uncooked rice
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking oil
1. Sprinkle salt and pepper onto the chicken pieces on both sides.
2. Heat cooking oil in a large pan. Pan fry chicken over medium-high heat until both sides are light brown. Pour in 1/2 cup of water, turn off heat and let sit for a minute.
3. Add olive oil in a separate pan. Saute onion until fragrant. Add in sliced olives, bell peppers, garlic, cumin, chili powder, sugar, and paprika. Stir for 1 minute or until well incorporated.
4. Add in tomato paste and stir. Place in uncooked rice and stir well until rice is completely coated with all of the ingredients.
5. Pour in chicken stock and arrange fried chicken on top with the remaining juices from the pan. Cover and simmer to a boil over medium heat.
6. After a boil, bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for at least 30 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
Enjoy your chicken arroz con pollo.